Sunday, April 15, 2007

Writing Update

This may come as a surprise to you, because it definitely shocked me - but I'm actually blogging about writing tonight. Crazy, aint it? That's the sort of topsy turvy world we live in, my friends. I sucker you in with the cute little posts about Tarantino man-juicing Rodriquez and stories of random sexual encounters, then when you least expect it, bam, I hit you with a blog about actual writing. That's just how I roll.

Tune in tomorrow for more ass-fucking jokes, though. I've got plenty left in me.

Now onward towards the writing.

SimplyScripts.com
was kind enough to put up my Entourage Spec the other day. It felt pretty good to see my writing somewhere other than my own blog. Faux legitimacy, if you will. I'm still not completely satisfied with it as a writing sample, but I think it's decent enough to show. I had to move on to my feature spec, anyway - so instead of just having it sit on my hard drive, I figured it couldn't hurt to just throw it out there.

As for the feature.

Fuck does this thing overwhelm me. There are days I feel completely intimdated by it, and others when I feel I can tackle it. It's a story that has a lot of edge to it, one that is very personal to me - so every little detail of it scares the shit out of me. I have to plow through and finish it, though. I just have to.

I would like to finish in time to submit it to Nicholl's, but I don't know if that's going to be possible. Waiting until next year to submit would kind of put a damper on my "screenwriter in 12 months" thing I have going. I know there's other avenues to break into the industry, and other festivals and contests, but I had my mind set on Nicholl being my first real attempt.

I still have two weeks.

I lack discipline. That's what it boils down to. I'll spend all night sexing up my blog with new fonts and link colors or making useless jokes on a forum instead of writing. Anything to avoid writing. I'm not sure if it's because I'm overwhelmed by my current script, or because I just have writer's laze.

Probably both.

It's something I'm going to need to work on.

With that said, I should probably get to writing. I've spent enough time blogging tonight. Tune in tomorrow for your regularly scheduled programming. Same Bat time, same Bat channel.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you still have until June 1 for Austin, so keep plugging away. In between all your useless jokes in the forums of course -- I enjoy your work over at AW -- actually thought you were one of Talbott's aliases at first. You should consider that as a compliment. Really.

annabel said...

I can relate. :)

WBlock said...

Better give yourself 5 years to break into Hollywood.

Adam Renfro said...

5 years?

Hell with that. Type faster!

IQCrash said...

I've never spent five years doing anything. Not even a relationship.

That's a level of commitment I'm incapable of at the moment. Twelve months is far less scary than five years.

WBlock said...

Hopefully you're brilliant and will be discovered on your first screenplay and hired to write several more.

Otherwise

It is a deep commitment and can take several years to break in and I'm talking about being "talented". The curse of this business is when they pat you on the back and dangle big carrots. It's easy if you write something and it sucks...you know it, they know it...move on.