Thursday, April 26, 2007

Learning to Let Go

Yesterday I made a really tough decision. I finally admitted to myself that my current feature just wasn't working and needed to be shelved - at least for now. I've never put anything on the backburner before without finishing it. I've never been a quitter.

I heard the stories of people working on that one spec for years upon years and never getting it "just right." Forever suffering with these personal tales they insisted on telling. I didn't want to be one of those guys. I couldn't be one of those guys.

So I weighed the opinion of several people I respect and trust, and the only conclusion I could come to was that I needed to put this project on the backburner - especially if I wanted to make any headway whatsoever in my 12 month goal.

I'd been struggling with this script for long enough, and needed to move on.

It sucks. It's painful. It feels like you're giving up. You begin to wonder whether or not you're even cut out for this game. But I had to ignore all that. I just had to accept that this one script, for whatever reason, was just not working.

Maybe the story was too personal. Maybe I'm not cut out for drama. Whatever the case may be, I had to bite the bullet and shelve the sucker. Did I mention it sucks?

So with that out of the way, we're obviously not making Nicholl this year. A huge setback in my opinion - but one I'm not going to dwell on.

Several people have been insistent that I should work on a twisted romcom, something that plays to my strengths - which apparently, according to them, are making people cringe and laugh at the same time.

I've also been entertaining the idea of writing with a partner. I think it might be something that would benefit me a great deal, as I seem to always be more on the ball when I have someone to bounce things off of. Part of being an attention whore, I suppose.

Now I just need to find someone I would work well with.

Anyway, to Matt, Ronson, Rene, Shawna, and everyone else who has been a great help in getting me to this decision - thanks. I mean, of course screw you for making me shoot my baby in the head, but thank you too.

7 comments:

ASA said...

Gee, I hope I'm not the "Matt" you speak of...I'd feel horrible if I were, indeed, that "Matt."

You followed the old gut. Embrace said gut reaction and move on. Turn that rear view mirror up toward the roof of the car.

IQCrash said...

You are, indeed, that "Matt."

Damn you!!

Anonymous said...

My condolences, I know how you feel. I spent an entire year on my first screenplay (completed one that is) and it's just not there. It's missing an element I won't be able to include until I have completed several others... and only then will I return and finish that one. Just keep writing.

To make yourself feel better borrow something from it and put it in your next one: a character name, location, fave scene.

Adam Renfro said...

Hey, 10 pages into your new script and you'll be over the old one like Alec Baldwin's over his first born.

So FADE IN, my man!

ASA said...

In that case, IQ, welcome to our humble little club...I can't even count the ones I've given up on.

But here's the happy-time flip-side -- giving up on some helped me to focus on the ones that have gotten me deals and/or are now getting read around town.

That particular screenplay may have been jettisoned for now -- but not the dream and desire.

Anonymous said...

Exactly my point :)

Cheers dude.

annabel said...

Good luck, Crash! :)