Friday, April 13, 2007

An L.A. Moment

Had one of those very specific, undeniably “L.A. Moments” the other night while hanging out with a few friends in Santa Monica. We’re at a coffee shop sipping some 12 dollar chais, sitting outside of course because we’re half of the ten remaining smokers in California - as people pass by feigning coughs and scowling at our cigarette butts.

We're discussing how we'd each prefer to die. Everyone clearly isn't giving much thought to the matter, as one by one they list off the usual cliche answers like, "In my sleep."

Finally it’s my turn to speak on the subject and I pause in reflection for a moment, then say:

“I think I’d like to become a rock star, have a hit single that gets me all the money and sex I can shake a stick at, then die of an overdose before I record my second album.”

You could see it in their eyes. This was a concept they not only understood, but could appreciate. They gave the idea a beautiful moment of silence before nodding in unison and saying, “That would be awesome.”

Awesome, indeed.

Long live Los Angeles.

6 comments:

ASA said...

As the old Indian character at the end of the film Legends Of The Fall says...

"It was a good death..."

Cool!

IQCrash said...

The Last Indian.

I like it. lol

annabel said...

I am so not L.A.! LOL

IQCrash said...

Everyone has a little L.A. in 'em, Annabel. We just need to find your inner neurotic self-centered fashionista child.

annabel said...

Neurotic self-centered fashionista? I could probably pull it off! ;)

Anonymous said...

"there's nothing wrong with being a large mammal"