Sunday, April 22, 2007

Le Mot Juste

Are all writers perfectionists? I find myself being more and more critical of my own writing lately and it's beginning to bother me. I'm a person that's brim full of confidence usually, so when I find myself smoldering with generic rage over something I'm writing - I can't help but want to slap the shit out of me.

I wasn't this critical of myself until I started considering writing as a professional career. Now that I've begun to take it seriously, I'm coming to find out my inner child is, well, a little fucking emo.

Maybe I need to write something less dramatic to purge myself of this self-doubt; a tale of a bulging bicep who single-handedly wins the war then sleeps with the entire village as his reward. A harem of women at his feet, exhausted after a thorough ravishing, he hovers over them looking outside at the carnage that is his.

Or I could just get the fuck over it and keep writing.

5 comments:

ASA said...

This may sound counter-intuitive -- but here goes...

I'm assuming you've structured and outlined the story to "perfection." Now what you can try doing is not thinking too much about the story - simply follow the crafted outline - and write a quick, short, and shitty first draft. Get it out of your system.

Then -- go back and re-write the shit out of the next draft.

You can add more "perfection" into the coming drafts - but before that time, you need to crank through the first draft, type "The End" -- and then start with the REAL writing. The re-writing.

Give it a shot...

IQCrash said...

I'm doing that now, Matt. Doing it just to finish it.

But I'm hating everything I'm writing.

Self-doubt is new territory for me.

ASA said...

Don't doubt - just write your way through.

Been there...

annabel said...

I feel like that most days, Crash. I just push forward and keep going... what else can a person do?

Anonymous said...

I usually write myself as a character, get him into a similar situation then get a really gorgeous 6'1 Amazonian blonde in heels to slap the crap out of me... then I go back to the regular story