Friday, June 29, 2007

Reject Me. Please, Reject Me.

You know what's the toughest part about trying to become a professional screenwriter?

Indifference.

After having gone through my first attempt at query letters, I find myself in the precarious position of yearning for rejection. Some sort of acknowledgment that I exist, even if it's negative.

Tell me I suck. Tell me you hate everything about me.

Tell me your anal fissure can write better pablum than I can.

Just tell me something.

It's a lot like trying to pick up a girl. You learn that rejection is just a part of the process, but when you're downright invisible, that's a whole different story.

It's one thing for the girl to think you're fat, or short, or hate your sense of humor - but if she doesn't even recognize you exist? That's the rub.

Now, don't get me wrong, I understand why Hollywood has to have such a closed-door stance on things. Over the past few months, I've been witness to how fucking batshit crazy a lot of so-called aspiring screenwriters are - so it's not like I can blame Hollywood for wanting to keep as much of a distance from these people as possible.

Hell, they scare me - and they're not even trying to get me to read their shitty script.

The unfortunate consequence of these wackjobs vying for the same ultimate goal as the rest of us, is that the barrier to entry has become almost insurmountable.

Almost. It's not impossible - but it's definitely not easy either.

So, we keep trying. Hoping we come up with a concept that gets us a read - then hoping we wrote a script strong enough to get us an option, or a sale, or an assignment.

It'll happen.

Oh, and to all you fucking lunatics out there making our life more difficult, here's a big hardy fuck you.

Or maybe I'm just bitter that I got one read request out of two hundred queries.

Today's Song of the Day - Loco, by Coal Chamber.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

my anal fissure created the entire reality talent show genre

IQCrash said...

That's one talented anal fissure you got there, MQ.

Think he might want to be my mentor?

ASA said...

Quit querying agents...

Take control of your burgeoning career and go directly after production companies on your own.

And quit fucking whining...

You can do this! I've read some of your stuff, and I think you've got the chops (if my opinion counts for anything...).

IQCrash said...

I wasn't whining.

I was bitching.

It's different. ;)

ASA said...

Sorry...you whining bitch...

Emily Blake said...

That's actually impressive that you got a read request from anybody.

But really, quesrying agents is a waste of time. You're much better off spending your efforts on making connections in the industry. Try working as a free PA for a friend's short or advertise your services on Craigslist and pick up some free work. Go to parties. You get a lot further when you meet people.

I think I'll blog on that in more detail at a later date.

Christian H. said...

I think I know the feeling IQ. I am just starting the query process but I think as Matt (welcome back) said, skip the agents, since they can only do what you can, just with a little more credibility - maybe.

From what I've heard around prodcos are a better way to go. A lot of them have studio deals in place.

I've got the Done Deal list and it's pretty large. One cool thing is that a lot of companies are accepting email queries which at least saves postage.

I think I saw a few that will even accept PDFs online.

I'm actually torn between getting repped and just getting a low-paid assignment and of course snagging that elusive $250,000 against %750,000.

I'd settle for people saying they'd read what I sent them. I've been told my pages look pretty good (and that was weeks ago) so I will just keep brainstorming and keep writing.

I found something that you might be interested in IQ.

Hollywoodbyphone.com

It's Chris Soth and last night there was a conference call with the Founder of 3 Arts Entertainment.

He even gave out his email, which isn't on Done Deal.

It's $47/month but it's gets you some ears and you get the first few calls free.

And believe me if Matt says you're good, you can take it to heart. I read something of his stuff and was duly impressed.

Besides, 12 Months from your start shouldn't be the last time you try.


I just wish I could move to LA now, but alas, I'd have to change jobs which would take too much time away from my writing.

Christian H. said...

I was just thinking about this and I think at the very least a selling point could be,

I've been ignored by the very best.

I just got my first rejection and I AM LOVING IT.

Does that mean I'm demented?

Anonymous said...

Lemme tell ya somethin', IQ:

Nothing says 'rejection' like the face-to-face indifference of auditioning as an actor.

Nothing.

However, indifference to your writing? Yeah, it's more personal, but it makes me more creative. Makes me try a different angle on each spec.

Chin up, young man. Stop bitchin' and write.

Stercus Accidit

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Now make sure your shit's tight before you send it in.

IQCrash said...

Emily - I'm networking as well. And while the agent route is still a shot in the dark, it can't hurt.

Christian - About HollywoodByPhone. Do you subscribe? $10 bucks a call seems like a lot to spend on something if the information is just regurgitation of what can be found in books and forums.

SA - smooches. Love havin' you here. Now go get a MySpace ;)

Eddie - My shit's always tight!

Christian H. said...

IQ, I think it's worth it as you actually talk to people who can sign you or even in some cases sign a check.

If nothing else, you can always say you were ignored or rejected by them too.

Anonymous said...

Listen to Matt...

Anonymous said...

Just to be different...

Keep trying to get an agent or manager. They know who's buying, what they're buying, and have relationships with those people to boot.

If your stuff is good enough to sell, it's good enough to get repped. Let someone else do the networking so you can focus on your writing.

IMO.

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way for the past year. It can be discouraging. The query letter process can be deflating, but it does work. my advice would be keep pushing forward. Try and do something that gets you closer to your goal everyday.

The process can be very slow, and then kick into ludicrous speed the next day. Who knew a teacher like myself would ever score an agent? After a year of trying it happened. I had no hope. My last statement would be never give up. Even if you think it's not, your stuff is getting read. The more and more people that read it will surely connect you with your agent.