Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Father's Day

I'm not very good with true emotions.

I shoot from the hip and run off at the mouth. I'm great at a party and can captivate an audience, but when it comes to anything deep or meaningful, I run for the hills.

When I found out I had a son the November before last, it broke my heart.

Not a day goes by I don't think about him.

I wrote him a letter this weekend.

Dear Son,

You will likely never get this.

You don't know my name, and I don't know yours - but I write this letter in the hopes that maybe one day it will find its way to you.

By now you've given your first smile, taken your first steps and said your first words - I wish I could have been there to see them.

I also won't be there to let you ride the pony outside the supermarket as many times as you want. To play your first game of catch with you, no matter how busy I am with work. To take you to your first concert, even if the band sucks. To help you study for your first big exam. To get you ready for your first date. To tell you how proud of you I am, no matter what trouble you've gotten yourself into.

I won't be there for any of that.

But you'll be fine, son.

You will grow up to be brilliant and excel at anything you put your mind to.

You will have a way with girls that will make the other boys jealous.

You will run the world one day.

I will miss you and think about you until the day I die.

Love,

Dad

3 comments:

Anna said...

(((hug)))

Christina said...

Between that and the letter we have from my son Evan's birth father, I'm downright sentimental.

Not that I'm inferring that your son was placed for adoption, but a co-worker of mine in her 40s once told me that as a teenager she had to say goodbye to her newborn son straight out of the womb. She's the same way -- twenty years later -- not a day goes by that she doesn't wonder or think about him.

Wrote this poem about connection some time ago. Seems apropos:

http://www.christinashaver.com/downloads/2006/11/7/untitled.html

I'll shut up now.

Rick said...

So he IS human afterall!!!