Monday, July 2, 2007

Where's My Hook?


This is like the third or fourth screenwriting entry in a row. I don't know about you guys - but I, for one, will not tolerate this sort of bullshit out of this blog for much longer.

I object to my own blog.

Now that I have that out of the way - I want to let you all know that I'm washed up.

Creatively bankrupt.

Not even relegated to the life of a has-been.

I'm a never-was.

I've been outlining several story ideas for a couple weeks now, and I hadn't been able to find a hook I loved - until last night.

It seemed as if I'd done it - cracked the case. Finally stumbled upon the hook I needed for on one of my stories.

I was excited.

Then, I got up this morning.

I hated my hook.

Hate is too strong. I liked it - it was funny - but I didn't love it. You know?

I don't know what I want to write next, and I feel like every day I don't find a story I love, is a day wasted. Especially with my short schedule.

I'm washed up.

Hookless.

Sans Hook.

What I'm trying to say is--

Someone find me a hook(er).

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

try combining two of them... my current script is an amalgam of two previous duds that went nowhere

IQCrash said...

That would be really weird to cross ninjas and strippers, but I can try...

Christian H. said...

oooh, Ninjas and strippers. Almost my favorite topics.

How's this "an Americanized Ninja falls in love with a stripper who stumbles onto a murder when she dances at his Japanese boss' house."(shades of Raplacements Killers)

Or "a stripper learns the mystic art of the silent assassin to avenge the death of her best friend."(shades of Kill Bill)

Anyway, I find that the easiest ideas are spies, soldiers, girlfriends, 17 year olds, dysfunctional families.

I have stories for each of those topics and I have found some interesting twists.

Emily Blake said...

It'll come. Just keep thinking about what kind of story you want to tell. And start simple. Write what you know because you have plenty there. I wouldn't even start with a hook - I'd start with plot.

Story is made up of a character who wants something and has obstacles in the way of that goal. Everything else revolves around that. So if your character just happens to be a ninja who wants some strippers, so be it.

Anonymous said...

Ideas are easy. Good ideas? Not so much. It's cool that you can filter the two, and not just write every little thing that pops in your head.

ASA said...

Eddie has hit that one on the head!

And, IQ, welcome to the real world of screenwriting. Now go make 'magic.' Again, and again, and again...

Josh said...

Welcome to my world. I've been cruising fark and NPR for the past week, gleaning the headlines for interesting stories that I can play around with.

Good luck, man. This is one of many reasons I'm glad I have a writing partner (the whole two heads - although, one paycheck - thing).

Christina said...

We have exactly opposite problems because I have ideas spinning, spinning, spinning...but considering my role as full-time mom, part-time lover, the writing comes at a much slower pace. I'm like the tortise.

Anonymous said...

you mean you never heard of Stinjas? if you don't pay up front, they kick you in the nun-chuks

ASA said...

You want to know how to mix genre's? See Darren Doane's film "42K." Schlock-ey, and FUNNY! Doane is a complete crazy (in a good way) dude, himself.

And IQ, the bunny is staring at me...make it stop...

IQCrash said...

The bunny likes you, Matt.

This is your Donnie Darko moment.

Anna said...

You must just be missing me... your muse! HAHAHAHA!