Friday, July 6, 2007

Don't Call It A Comeback

Mother fuck me have I been blocked for like two weeks now.

And I mean seriously blocked.

I couldn't complete a thought if my life depended on it. And when a couple people approached me to possibly work with them on a cool idea, I was bound by other obligations and couldn't do it.

I was seriously doubting myself.

So, I decided to do something about it.

First, I went out and picked up the game Overlord. Before I found out how much I liked getting laid, I used to really enjoy gaming (so much so that I made a career out of it for many years) - so I thought what better way to clear my mind than to pick up an old friend and forget about writing for a while.

This did wonders for me.

Then, I decided to hold a small exercise on the Artful Writer forums. I'd never written a short before, and I thought it'd be fun (and distracting) to write one for the first time with a group of others and let the community offer some anonymous feedback.

So as I was sitting at my desk practically jerking off to the really flattering feedback I was getting over my short - I had a breakthrough.

A real, honest to goodness breakthrough.

When I finished writing my first feature, I was fortunate enough to have a few professional screenwriters offer to read it for me. It was quite flattering, especially considering they made a living doing this - and I was just some guy who in February decided to write for a living.

One of these wise, awesome individuals (yes, I'm kissing your ass right now) said something to me in his feedback that has stuck with me. It was just one sentence, but it has haunted me.

He said, while he thought my script was well-written, confident, and funny...

"I think it's missing that twist that makes it high concept."

And even though he suggested it was good enough to shop, that one comment has been on the back of my mind ever since.

But today. Oh glorious day.

I had my breakthrough.

I came up with the high concept story I'm going to love telling.

It's a beautiful thing, and I'm balls out excited to get working on it.

Let's get to work.

7 comments:

Dante Kleinberg said...

The Artful Writer has forums? Am I so lazy I just never noticed?

Anyway, just found your blog -- 12 months, huh? Interesting proposition. This is probably a dumb newcomer question, but did you literally quit your day job or are you still working somewhere else full-time?

If the latter, I think success in 12 months would be impossible, if the former... well, good luck.

IQCrash said...

Hey Dante,

Yep, it sure does have a forum - a great one.

I quit my job in advertising with savings in hand to make this work.

Fortune favors the bold. ;)

Keigh said...

I'm from The Artful Writer, too, although I'm very new, and not sure if I am artful--but no matter. :)

You really quit your job? Good thing you had savings, no? Fortune really does favor the bold...

Anonymous said...

IQ Cramp,

"Fortuna favet fortibus," loosely translated, is the phrase you're looking for.

You're one of the few that I think made the right decision to take the big plunge. I admire that about you.

You did the right thing.

I KNOW you did. I have proof.

Stercus Accidit

IQCrash said...

Stercus compliments me because she thinks one day I will be successful enough where she might be able to survive by my teet.

Christina said...

Yay you!! Can't wait to hear about the goods when the time comes!

Dante Kleinberg said...

Good for you! I'm jealous

I've often wondered what I would do if I could write full-time -- I don't know if I'd work that much harder, or if I'd only have more time to put things off