Saturday, July 7, 2007

Turning Thirty

How did this happen to me?

When did this happen?

One minute I'm a jubilant youth without a care in the world, and before I know it, I'm getting old.

Really fucking old.

I've briefly mentioned my fear of turning thirty in previous blogs, but now that the big day looms closer and closer - my fear is blossoming into a full-on panic.

I never thought I'd be thirty.

Even now, I consider thirty to be old.

I still feel the same way I did when I was eighteen. Most days, I act like it too.

There's something charming about the reckless abandon of youth. I don't want to lose that. That carefree attitude, that feeling of invincibility - that's who I am, it's who I've always been.

Goonies Never Say Die. Thirty year olds do.

I was still screwing up my life just a couple years ago - how can I be a thirty year old yet?

Hell, some would say I'm still screwing my life up now by giving up my career to take a shot at screenwriting.

I see people all around me, friends of mine, who have their act together. Wife, kids, a job they love - things that I don't even really think about most days.

Responsibility is just a word to me.

I'm not ready to be thirty.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

On Aug 16 I will be 42, the same age as Elvis when he died... on Aug 16, so imagine my consternation

Thom said...

Remember 30 is the new 20 and by the time you're 40, it will be the new 20. We live in an age where we will perpetually be 20.

No worries until you hit 50.

Plus, I'd say you've finally stopped screwing up your life by striving for your dreams.

This schmaltzy moment brought to you by Depends.

ASA said...

My dad is almost 80 years old...

I asked him how old he feels and his answer was --

"I feel like I'm about 12. Still trying to figure stuff out, and amazed still by what I see and experience."

You're only old if you want to feel old.

Happy birthday!







you old fuck...

Emily Blake said...

Do you feel any different than you did yesterday? Because it's an arbitrary thing, really. Time and experience are not the same.

If it's any consolation, I think you're remarkably immature.

Go see some strippers.

And happy fucking birthday.

Anonymous said...

IQ Crab,

I like Emily's post. It's funny and true.

Felicem diem natalem, you big baby!

Stercus Accidit

annabel said...

Ahem! Thirty is not old! Thank you very much!

Okay, it is old and it sucks. What can you do?

IQCrash said...

Hey, it's not my birthday!

I just said it was looming.

Still a few months to go - I like to get my panic in early.

Anonymous said...

It's too late for you.

Just give up.

I hear Taco Bell is hiring.

Anonymous said...

I was going to make a Logan's Run reference, but I'm not feeling it. Guess I got commenter's block, but happy almost your thirtieth birthday and end of fun, anyways.

Dante Kleinberg said...

Just last night I was discussing with someone how depressed I am to be turning 26 this year, so I don't even want to imagine what you're going through.

Every time I see someone who was born in the late 80s being much more successful then I am, I get a little irritated.

In my heart, I still feel like I'm about 15 most of the time...

Keigh said...

Hey Mr. 29-year-old, don't feel so bad.

You've got a sound mind and (I think) a good, working body. You've discovered writing, which, in my opinion, makes up for it.

PS: If you really feel that old, get some super old friends. :)

IQCrash said...

Or some super young girlfriends.

Nicklaus Louis said...

Hey man,

On the 4th I turned 30 for the first time. It wasn't as bad as I expected. I didn't mysteriously find myself to be wearing Depends or driving below the speed limit or wanting to watch 60 Minutes. I pretty much did the same things on Thursday that I did on Tuesday. I wonder if that's sadder than having the other stuff happen.

Good to find another screenwriter out there going through the stress of turning 30.

Nick

Christina said...

There is no good news about 30. Don't let them fool you.

I went to the doctor today and when he asked why I came, I said it was because I am getting old. He told me there is NOTHING he can do about that. Not even medicine can help you there, pal. Worthless.

L Theo. said...

Happy birthday to you! I was happy to turn 30 and leave the bullshit of my 20s behind.

Keep writing. ;)