Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Breaking The Story

If you remember, on July 6th I had a breakthrough.

I was being haunted by two simple little words for weeks: High Concept.

Then it came to me.

An idea that I not only loved, but genuinely felt was high concept. I was rock hard to jump into characters, arcs, plot, and outlining. I was stoked.

But that excitement was short-lived.

For the past ten days I've been struggling with a new demon - breaking the story.

I had a great concept, a great theme, a great title - and nowhere to go with it. I can't even begin to tell you how frustrating this was.

The first outline felt contrived. Forced.

So much so, that I tried to move on to outlining another idea that had been on the back burner.

As much as I tried, though - I kept circling back to the high concept one.

I knew there was a story there - a great story - I just had to find it.

Once again, I took a couple days off to let my brain cool off and watched movies and read scripts.

Then all of a sudden, last night, it happened.

We broke the story.

You should have seen it. It was amazing.

"This this happens. Oh god, then this! What about this? That's hilarious! Jesus, this is great..."

Until yesterday, the phrase "the comedy should come from the concept" didn't really mean anything to me. It was just a mantra used by the professionals.

I was wrong.

Something special happens when that light bulb flickers on, and concept starts driving your story. That inherent comedy that comes from a concept is one you just can't reproduce with gags and characters.

Concept is king.

Anyway, I don't want to get too ahead of myself here - and risk incurring the wrath of the Hubris gods - but I really feel like this is the one.

The script that's going to bring me to my goal ahead of schedule.

I really hope I'm right.

7 comments:

Nicklaus Louis said...

Awesome! I know the feeling. The key is to try to keep that same level of excitement as you outline and get into your first draft -- That's always my biggest downfall.

Emily Blake said...

Yay!

That's what makes writing fun.

ASA said...

Your idea sucks! Give up this dream immediately!







I kid...Nice breakthrough, my man. Keep after it.

Anonymous said...

Now you no how I feel all the time. My mind is jamm-packed with great ideas. Glad you could expereince the feeling for once.

Fun Joel said...

Good luck and congrats. That's a great feeling!

Christian H. said...

Just make sure several people read it.I am in the middle of a rewrite because of feedback on a story I just knew was ready.

What I do is take a day and just brainstorm. No writing, no reading, just thinking.

Another thing I do is sit and stare at my DVD collection. I usually come up with a high concept or two.

After all, there are no new ideas, only new deliveries.

I still like the Ninja hooker idea. Mind if I "borrow" it?

I see Matt still has that biting sense of humor. Cool guy though.

Anonymous said...

We need more Matt's in our corner to set fires under our butts... plus I hear he can make one helluva a barbecue