Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Nicholl Fallout

This is a strange week in the screenwriting world.

People are finding out whether or not they made the Quarterfinals of the Nicholl Fellowship.

Since I didn't finish my first spec in time to submit to Nicholl, I get to watch as an outsider at the developments. And I'm of two minds about it.

First, there's part of me that feels both disappointment and joy for friends of mine who did or did not make the cut. I really feel bad for those who didn't, and genuinely congratulatory for those who did. Natch.

But that's not why I'm blogging about it.

I'm blogging about it because my evil side has decided to come out and play this week.

This isn't a pretty side of me. It's definitely not one I'm proud of. But it's a part of me, for better or worse.

So, here I am, embracing my evil for the world to see.

I know we're supposed to all be happy and hand-holding and shit, and for the most part we are - but I've gotta admit, there's a couple of you out there that I just can't stand. And when you got your rejection letters this week, I couldn't help but grin a little bit.

Sorry.

Some people just rub you the wrong way. I'm sure there's lots of people who read my blog and walk away thinking, "What a self-promoting blowhard." And really, they wouldn't be too far from the truth.

But I'm okay with that. I'm an acquired taste.

Most people are.

So, for those of you who didn't make the quarterfinals - Better luck next time, and keep your chin up.

For those who did - Congratulations. You deserve it.

And for those few of you I wish testicular cancer upon - Well...

8 comments:

annabel said...

Thanks for sharing my disappointment, Crash! :)

Anonymous said...

even sandpaper has its uses rubbed the wrong way heh... I did the contest thing last two years, then I was enlightened

Dante Kleinberg said...

You narrowed it down too much. The people you're happy to see fail must be men because you wish them testicular cancer...

... unless it's a headfake, and they're actually women...

Anonymous said...

Interesting insight, IQ Cyst. Honest and interesting and far worse than male lac...well, never mind.

A little evil, too. Me like.

I should be ready for the Nicholl next year, and in the interest of being a good sport, I'll fax you my winning letter.

Maybe I'll let you edit my acceptance speech.

Maybe.

It's the least I can do.

Stercus Accidit

ASA said...

Or you can look at it this way...

All the bullshit pressure is off of you because the Nicholl has come to pass for this year.

Now you can do the real work and try to get your screenplay to someone who can actually get it produced.

Yeah, yeah - more pressure -- but the good kind of pressure.

Keep after it!

Christian H. said...

What Matt said. I decided to skip the several hundred dollars in fees and just concentrate on prodcos.

Plus, I can't wait weeks and months to find out I didn't win anything.

Best wishes to all who try but at least there's one less person to compete with.

Anonymous said...

My balls itch.

Anonymous said...

I can scratch them for you, Eddie...

Phyllis! Get over here and scratch Eddie's balls... then get me a coffee and the box office rundown from last weekend